Natural gas is a safe and reliable energy for many household needs like cooking, heating water, drying clothes or heating your home. However, as with all forms of energy, improper or careless use of natural gas may cause property damage or personal injury.
There are many simple steps you can take to help stay safe. Please take time to review these safety tips and share them with members of your household.
- Hire a professional. Always use a licensed professional to install or repair any gas appliances.
- Look for a clear blue flame. A yellow or orange flame may indicate your burner is not burning efficiently.
- Gas fireplace? Keep people, pets, clothing and furniture away. Turn off after use, or when you’re not in the room.
- Never use a gas oven or range top as a space heater. Using a gas appliance the wrong way can cause deadly carbon monoxide. If the power goes out, bundle up in layers of clothes and blankets instead.
- Keep your water heater set at 120° F. Get an annual inspection by a licensed plumbing, heating contractor or cooling contractor.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector. Make sure appliances are properly vented so CO doesn’t build up.
- Keep flues and chimneys clean and clear. Have your heating contractor make sure they’re not blocked.
- Don’t stack flammables near furnaces. Keep papers, clothing, curtains and other combustibles away from open flames.
- Always keep meters and vents clear. Carefully remove snow and ice with a broom or by hand. Never shovel or kick your gas meter, as it can cause damage.