Prevent Damage To Facilitites
Call Before You Dig
New York: 8-1-1
IT'S THE LAW!
supported laws require contractors and private land owners to call the
state One Call System before any kind of digging occurs.
- Always call the One Call System at least
PA: three working days before you dig.
NY: between two and ten days, not including the day of the call.
calling you will allow the utilities an opportunity to locate and mark
their underground facilities in advance of the planned excavation (Gas
and Liquid Pipelines will mark underground lines using yellow stakes,
flags or paint).
- Pipeline operators use several
methods of monitoring simultaneously to prevent accidents and detect
potentially hazardous situations.
- In addition to electronic monitoring, operators survey their pipelines by air, by motor vehicle and by walking the line.
construction or excavation activities of any kind, including blasting,
are to be done on any pipeline easement area before the personnel have
established the actual location of all affected facilities and the
limits of the easements.
- As an extra precaution, mark your excavation area in white before calling with a dig notification.
- Hand dig within the tolerance zone.
will mark underground lines using yellow stakes, flags or paint. It is
your responsibility to preserve these markings until they are no longer
required for safe excavation.
- State Law requires that excavators hand dig within 18" of the marked area in PA and within 24" in NY.
- We may require a representative to be on site when performing excavating action.
the facility markings are destroyed or removed before excavation
commences or is completed, the excavator must re-notify the One Call
Agency and we will remark the location.
indicates only the approximate location of buried lines. Hand dig test
holes in a careful and prudent manner to determine the precise location
of underground utility lines. Upon hand digging, if you are still
unable to determine the exact location of the lines, call us for
assistance prior to any excavation.
- If a gas line is
exposed, it must be protected and supported while working on site. Ask
us for help and advice when you are near underground lines.
MORE INFORMATION OR TO REVIEW DETAILS OF THE DAMAGE PREVENTION LAWS IN
PA OR NY, PLEASE CONTACT US OR THE STATE ONE-CALL SYSTEMS
Link to One Call Systems